Thursday 20 September 2012

Tell it to the Potato

In the first week of school, I had this new book on display and the students begged me to read it to them. When we finally got a chance to read the book, they loved it. However, I like to have special voices for characters and it took me until the next day to find the perfect voice for one of the characters of "I'm Bored". On the way in to school, I found a great voice for the potato. The students got to hear the story a second time and enjoyed it even more. 
One of our new class slogans has been inspired by "I'm Bored". In Room 209, if students are tempted to say they're bored, they will be told to "Tell it to the potato". No one else wants to hear it!
We had a great chat about what an awful phrase, "I'm bored" is and whose responsibility it is to deal with feeling bored. Quite often people say they're bored when they're unfocused or don't know what's going on, or they're not using the tools and ideas available to them.

"I'm bored" is officially a phrase that is not welcome in Room 209 (Unless you're reading it from Michael Ian Black's hilarious book!)

2 comments: